I absolutely love calamari! I figured it would be worthwhile to post a very easy homemade fried calamari recipe anyone can try at home. I made this last week and it reminded me of my trip to Split, Croatia.
- Bag of raw squid rings (frozen or fresh) *amount based on how much calamari you would like to make*
- Regular white flour (one cup or more)
- Vegetable oil or Canola oil (approximately 1 1/2 cups)
- One lemon
- Sauce of choice (e.g.: citrus aioli)
- Take out the bag of raw squid rings and make sure they are thawed and at room temperature. Completely defrost the bag of squid rings if they were bought frozen.
- Spread out one cup of white, all-purpose flour onto a large plate or easy to clean board/ counter top surface.
- Place squid rings onto spread out flour and make sure they are all lightly dusted in white flour.
- Place lightly floured squid rings onto a plate.
- Pour approximately 1 and 1/2 cups of vegetable oil or canola oil into a large pot or deep dish frying pan.
- Turn the pot or frying pan heat on high. Wait until oil on the stove is hot, but not smoking.
- Using long frying/ heat safe tongs (maybe even while using oven mitts in case of oil splash back) carefully place approximately a handful of raw, flour dusted squid rings into the hot pan. Add more squid rings or oil depending on the size of your pot or frying pan. Squid rings should be almost completely submerged in oil.
- Cook calamari for 3-4 minutes or until calamari appears to be a golden brown colour. Flour coating should also appear to be crispy. It is important to NOT overcook the calamari or it will be rubbery and hard to chew.
- Repeat these steps until all of your calamari is cooked. Feel free to dab or drain excess oil from calamari using a clean paper towel.
- Turn off stove and take pan off heat once oil is no longer needed.
- Serve calamari with citrus aioli or sauce of your choice and lemon slices to squeeze on top.